Our heritage, a whole HISTORY!

Leucate comes from Greek Leukos which means white, Laucata in Occitan...



Become peninsula, lakeside city in the Middle Ages, impregnable fortress in the Renaissance, the geographical situation of Leucate made a privileged observation post of the coming enemy of Aragon and Spain.
From the castle of Leucate We perceive at first the pond, then the Mediterranean Sea, the Canigou and the chain of Albères.
For five centuries, the fortified town of Leucate will serve as no observation privileged person and of guard of the border between the kingdoms of France and Aragon.
The signature in 1659 of the Treaty of the Pyrenees will spell the end of the castle of Leucate which will be shaved on order of Louis XIV.
Leucate Histoire
Histoire
La Redoute of Haute Franqui , built under the reign of Louis XIV, is the last vestige of 3 forts, which kept coast and municipality of Leucate.
The cliff and the plateau of Leucate also served as base to the German soldiers during the Second World War, show bunkers of it and always visible sub-grounds.

Françoise de Cezelly, is the heroine of Leucate, the one who sacrificed her husband to save the city of the assault of the Spaniards during the grip of the city in 1590.
Her statue thrones again on the Place of the Republic since 2007. The eccentric was unbolted during the Occupation to get back the bronze.

Henry de Monfreid, traveler of seas, adventurer and writer, the son of the soil made build its house, the Villa Amélie, in Franqui, its port of registry and heart.